Learning Journals and special books have grown in popularity over the last decade, offering early years settings a way to record the special moments of their children, and to keep parents involved in a partnership as their children blossom and grow. More recently they have been used in conjunction with the EYFS developmental stages to assess more formally how children are progressing.
Traditionally these individual records have been collected in scrapbooks or binders, building up into a treasured memoir that children can take with them when they leave for the next stages of their journey through life.
We have taken it one step further and have introduced digital learning journeys via a company called Tapestry.
Tapestry is an online E-learning journal to record the development of each child in our setting. This system provides a quick and easy record that can be accessed by parents, anywhere that you have internet access.
The advantages of digital are that
· You get to see current snapshots so are more up to date with your child’s learning.
· It gives you a feel of what your child is doing at nursery and about their day.
· It is more efficient and user friendly for the staff which means they have more quality time with your child.
· It allows you to upload photos and videos of special moments and from home, meaning we can get to know you and your child even better.
· You get a CD of the complete learning Journey when your child leaves nursery so you have a copy to keep forever.
How we use Tapestry at Brougham Street Nursery School
Tapestry provides each individual child with their own e-learning journey. Parents and carers are given a personal log-in using their email address and password. Staff will then record and assess children linking observations to the EYFS curriculum, uploading photo or video media as evidence. An email is then automatically generated to parents/carers and they are informed that an observation has been added so they can have a look and add any of their own comments to it.
A Tapestry App is available to download for iphone and Android devices from the respective App store. To access Tapestry from the website go to https://eylj.org/login/
How to use Tapestry
Our office staff will generate an email with a Tapestry invitation link, you will then be required to nominate a password. You can then view your child’s journal and look through the observations.
You can also add your own pictures and videos using your phone/ tablet or via the web.
If you have any questions or queries about Tapestry please email the nursery or speak to your child’s keyworker.
We have a useage policy within our setting and this is attached below.
If you do not have access to a device that supports Tapestry, please speak to Ayesha in the Nursery School Office or contact her on 01609 757052.
The FSF have drawn up a specific policy for Tapestry, since, by its nature, they have potential access to the data entered into Tapestry accounts. This can be viewed online https://tapestry.info/privacy.html/. In accordance with the data protection act you own all the data you enter and the FSF won't look at it or make use of it unless you ask them to. Listed below are some of the relevant points you might like to note:
· When you open a Tapestry account all your information is stored in a dedicated database in servers physically resident in the United Kingdom.
· When you take out an account with FSF, or when you download and install an app, information will be exchanged. FSF will not trade or otherwise pass on that information to any third party.
· FSF services and apps carry no advertising or related tracking software, either for their own use or other commercial organisations.
· The data you enter is stored by FSF, but owned by you. If you decide to terminate your Tapestry account they will ask you if you would like them to archive your information for a limited period. If you do not want to do this, they will delete it completely, which means that the data will disappear forever. They will also delete all media files associated with the account.
· The system necessarily stores cookies on the computers of users and mobile devices. These are simply to allow navigation of the system and collect no personal data.
· FSF will not visit your account unless you ask them to (e.g. to address any issues you are experiencing)
· FSF will not access or use any contact information that we enter (for example, in setting up your parent accounts we will enter email addresses allowing you to be notified of additions to your child's journal). Email harvesting and exploitation will not happen!